Well, the shoe finally dropped yesterday. For many years now people have been speculating that Wishes Nighttime Spectacular would be replaced and yesterday the Disney Parks Blog team revealed that it is finally going to happen. The final performance of Wishes will take place on May 11th, 2017 with the new show – Happily Ever After – debuting the next night on May 12th. A nice gift for anyone visiting the parks for Mother’s Day weekend.
This is one of mine. I have this hanging in my office.
It’s an unpopular opinion but I’ve always felt that Wishes was the best fireworks on property. I know people love Illuminations: Reflections of Earth but it really has never grabbed me the way Wishes has. Wishes always found a way to pull on my heart strings. Yes, I’m a grown man that cried the first time I took my daughter to watch the fireworks at Walt Disney World. Adopting her was the wish my wife and I made that came true. So the announcement yesterday was met with great sadness by me yesterday. But then after thinking about it a bit, and watching some parts of the concept teaser I was filled with hope.
This is one of mine too, this is one of the few ones hanging at home.
- A new show means a new subject to photograph at Walt Disney World. Taking fireworks shots is one of my favorite things to do at Walt Disney World and now there is a new show to take pictures of.
- I keep thinking of what it would be like to try and photograph the show that first night and how excited I would be. At this point we all know the timing of Wishes down pat. But with a new show, it would be an entirely new experience. I can imagine that jockeying for position near the hub is going to be insane for photographers that night. Is camping out at noon too early? Lol.
- I have three Wishes prints on the walls of my office. New photos of a new show means I can get even more fireworks on the walls of my office (which we’re moving in 6 months so I get to completely redecorate my office with pictures).
- The snippets in the teaser trailer look really good, I mean check the Disney Parks blog link above. They look really good.
- The name…..Happily Ever After. It seems that Disney is going to go for pulling at the heart strings again and that’s great. I saw someone post online that new animated films are being added to the show and Moana was going to be added to the mix. That’s great news!
It’s always fun to shoot from different locations. Here’s a shot from Ben Hendel from the top of the Contemporary. A shot featured on 1/6/17 in the 2017 Photo A Day application.
One thing that the news didn’t address was what is going to happen at the Holidays. Will we still see Hallowishes at Halloween and Holiday Wishes at Christmas? Or are we going to get a So what say you? Wouldn’t that be fun if we got new holiday shows as well.
Will Hallowishes be replaced as well? This photo (and the top one on the post) is by Ben Hendel and featured in our 2017 Photo a Day App.
Are you excited for the new show? Are you sad to see it go? Hit read more and post something in the comments. Let us know what you think.